What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Wednesday 2 July 2014

'You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in.' – Dr Seuss

I'm on day two of a persistent but not too severe migraine. Yesterday I thought the daily medication would stop it in its tracks, but that's not how it works. I thought about immediately calling up the kinesiologist to cure me. Instead I took aspirin and went to bed early. This morning I thought it was gone because I was feeling really good – as it turns out, a little too good. The migraine-derived manic energy has given way to other typical symptoms: head pain especially around my eyes, dizziness, tiredness, sadness and hopeless thoughts, and sensitivity to light and sound. Now I'm debating between watching a favourite movie with the sound turned low or going to bed and indulging in self-pity until my husband gets home in a few hours. I'm also beginning to worry that this is a beginning of another round or torrential migraines and that the new medication isn't going to work. I think I need to stay present and mindful so that I don't fall into the spiral of doomsday thinking. I'll look for the positives: yummy macaroni and cheese for dinner, snuggly cat to cuddle and cozy living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment