What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Monday 14 July 2014

'Fear, anxiety and neurosis: that's just in the suitcase when you're an actor.' – Laura Linney

Often when I'm on holiday I try to force myself to relax. I know that sounds silly, but I'm so determined to go home rested that I get anxious about whether we're doing too much; am I being present the whole time so that I'm experiencing it all; am I getting the most recuperation value out of this time off? (This is more proof that I'm neurotic and think too much. Maybe I should become an actor.)

I don't know what's changed, but on this holiday, so far, I've been able to do what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it: lie on the beach reading or watching the wildlife, swim, nap in the hotel room, have a drink before dinner. Only once have the anxious thoughts tried to invade. Am I taking everything in? Look how wonderful it all is! I turned these fretful mind-ninjas back early in their advance by taking a deep breath and gently reminding myself that I'm present so it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment