What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Sunday 19 January 2014

'The chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own migraines.' - The Sign of the Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I've had my New Year's resolutions for about two weeks now and I feel like I should confess how I'm doing to hopefully push myself to do better. Usually when I'm trying to start a new habit I bribe myself with money that I can use on fun, off-budget purchases. I haven't set up anything like that this time, which might be why I'm having mixed results. I am drinking more water, at least a litre and usually the 1.5L that I'm aiming for. I am in the process of weaning off Topomax and have been taking a pill that has things like feverfew, valerian and butterbur daily. I have meditated a few times, but not three times a week. I usually feel good when I meditate (or do yoga), but I often find other, more 'productive' things to do when I first wake up or in the few extra minutes before I leave for work. Finally, other than the herbal pills (and my normal restricted diet and monthly chiro/acupuncture) I haven't tried any new remedies for migraines. It's partly because I want to stabilise on the non-pharmaceuticals first, partly because I haven't had many migraines in the last few weeks. I have been trying to record my migraines, but am discovering that it's often hard to know what to write down: which of the many variables from the past 24 hours contributed to this migraine? is this a migraine or just heatstroke? when does one migraine end and the next begin? I guess like everything it's a work-in-progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment