What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Monday 27 January 2014

'I shall take the heart… for brains do not make one happy.' – The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum

I am almost off the Topomax – down to a half pill per day. But I am having doubts about whether I can cope without it. That makes me sound like an addict, which gives me another reason for not wanting to be on daily pharmaceuticals. The self-doubting voice in my head is picking up on every 'off' moment and headache. It's asking me if I'm feeling like this now, how will I feel when I'm fully off the medication. And the most telling moment came this morning. When I was about to cut my pill in half, I caught myself thinking: it would just be easier to take the whole thing, one pill is still better than the two I was on before, and I would probably feel better over time with the help of Topomax.

I didn't really expect to have to deal with mind games as well as potential migraine symptoms when I went off the medication. I don't remember this sort of thing, or not to this degree, when I went of daily beta-blockers or other chronic migraine medications. Perhaps I've just blocked it out and moved on. I'm hoping it's helpful to record these mental struggles here so that in the future I (and others?) are wary of the wider implications of these medications. Also if I read, in black and white, things like this morning's inner dialogue, hopefully will give me the motivation to continue toward alternatives to pharmaceuticals.

No comments:

Post a Comment