What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Saturday 4 January 2014

'Those who gave thee a body, furnished it with migraine; but He who gave thee Soul, armed thee with resolution. Employ it, and thou art wise; be wise and thou art happy.' – Akhenaton

I'm going to do something this year that I haven't done before: make migraine New Year Resolutions (and no others). This is with the hope that it will help me continue to get a handle on my chronic migraines, but also improve my quality of life.

As it stands right now, I've been on Topomax daily for about fifteen months and been sick on and off for about fifteen months. My migraines have been pretty manageable, which is good, but I have been losing weight and struggling under constant minor illnesses. I don't know if the two are related, but anti-epileptic medicines are pretty heavy-duty and hopefully my resolutions will help with overall health, not just migraine-maintenance.

My resolutions are:
1) Drink more water – 1.5L is what the calculations seem to say I should be drinking.
2) Replace Topomax with herbal migraine prophylactics such as feverfew and lavender – the caveat on this one is that my quality of life needs to be the test. If these herbals don't sufficiently control the migraines, then I'll re-evaluate.
3) Do more meditation/yoga – aim for three times per week (or more).
4) Try a variety of anti-migraine alternatives throughout the year and record the results – approach them open-mindedly, try at least six this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment