What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Saturday 11 January 2014

'Of course there must be lots of Magic in the world… Perhaps the beginning is just to say nice things are going to happen until you make them happen.' – The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Findings were released this week about the effectiveness of placebo pills and patient's expectations in relation to migraine pain relief. (One of many articles can be read here.) I find it interesting but not surprising that our brain 'trick' us into feeling better than medicine alone. Given that this week I'm going to start weaning off Topomax, I'm wondering if I can convince my brain that it doesn't need to give me migraines in the process. Even if I can't do that, it would be nice to convince myself that feverfew and lavender are an effective substitute. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment