What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Thursday 19 June 2014

'Medicine sometimes snatches away health, sometimes gives it.' – Ovid

I have mixed feelings about my new migraine medication, sandomigran.
On one hand it's working really well on my chronic migraines. When my neurologist prescribed it, he warned me that the side-effects included sleepiness, constipation and weight gain. I wasn't too worried about the sleepiness because I often don't sleep very well. As it's turned out, they should be called twenty-minutes-awake pills. I fall asleep almost as soon as I take them. Constipation hasn't been an issue. The weight gain is the one occupying me right now. I wasn't worried about gaining a little weight because I had lost a bunch of weight over the last few months of being constantly nauseous from migraines. The upside is that I now eat anything I want, as much as I want. I almost never feel full. I've realised I need to use visual portion control to make sure I don't balloon up too much. I've also implemented a low-carbs and no dessert after 8pm diet. Hopefully I have the will power to maintain this plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment