What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Thursday 21 August 2014

'You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.' – Margaret Thatcher

I'm always surprised when an anxiety attack hits. I'll be doing something mundane, then there it is. It comes out of nowhere, feeding on nothing logical and lasts for no pre-determined time. It's been months since my last bout of panic, since that gripping, heart-pounding doomsday feeling took over.

Today while I was editing and preparing a story for a competition entry, anxiety attacked. I felt overwhelmed and out of control despite the conditions of my reality being calm and autonomous. I put aside my rising panic long enough to submit the story, ignoring the voice in my head screaming that it wasn't ready. Then, when that didn't stop the attack, I went outside to weed the garden. In a surprisingly short time the act of having a definite, productive task with a measurable outcome calmed my mind. I think the physical exertion also helped. Now I just need to remember that and gain access to a garden wherever my next attack strikes.

What else do people do to combat an anxiety (or migraine) attack?

No comments:

Post a Comment