What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Monday 17 March 2014

'Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.' – Douglas Adams

Right now I’m living between migraines. It’s like flying: when it’s working it feels wonderful and light and free; but when things go wrong it’s going to hurt. I’m getting about one a week and on the days when I don’t have a migraine, I am grateful and productive. At first I would be on tenterhooks anticipating the next fall (migraine), but that’s a waste of time and energy. This has helped me to be more present and appreciative of health, when I have it.


There’s a problem, though. My current prescription will run out just before I see my neurologist in a week or so. I’m hoping he will suggest some other medication so I don’t want to fill another repeat of the current one. I am coping pretty well on this lower dose with only a mild weekly migraine. If I go off all medication, I might go back to two or three migraines a week. Now cheapness and treatment are battling it out in my head. Which logic will win?

No comments:

Post a Comment