What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Wednesday 26 March 2014

'I'm for truth, no matter who tells it.' – Malcolm X

Despite the realisation a few weeks ago that I would never find a cure for chronic migraines and needed to establish a good management plan, I find myself wondering more and more about what's causing mine. I don't know if this is more magical thinking: If I just find the first cause and fix that, then everything will be better. Since I was diagnosed with chronic migraines almost a decade ago, it's bothered me how unconcerned the medical profession is about finding the cause. As long as they're treating the symptoms (usually with medication), then that's good enough. I realised that even my current alternative therapists, chiropractor and acupuncture, are mostly about treating the symptoms and getting me through the migraine incident.

I feel there must be some underlying cause more compelling (and treatable) than inherited pre-disposition. Why do I have chronic migraines and my mother, grandmother and aunt only have one or two a year? Why does my body feel a need to react to stress with a migraine? Why when I don't sleep well or have a build-up of muscle tension do I get a migraine, but my husband just gets a little grouchy?

I've got some ideas of how I might be able to answer these questions for myself or waste money trying. 1) A friend suggested kinesiology by which she means applied kinesiology. Wikipedia, the source of all truth, says it's unproven and 'no more useful than random guessing.'
2) A few years ago a fairly sensible colleague mentioned hypnotherapy as being effective for an ailment she had. Wikipedia is more positive about hypnotherapy and even cites a 1995 study that said, 'The evidence supporting the effectiveness of hypnosis in alleviating chronic pain associated with cancer seems strong. In addition, the panel was presented with other data suggesting the effectiveness of hypnosis in other chronic pain conditions, which include… tension headaches.'
3) I could do my own literature review to read about migraine brains and what makes them different.
4) I  may try an elimination diet again to see if there are any new foods I need to avoid or ones I have been that I can now eat again.

This is probably another attempt to control and understand the uncontrollable and little-known.

No comments:

Post a Comment