What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Wednesday 26 February 2014

'To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer or a migraine.' – Farmers' Almanac, 1978

I get a lightheaded, cross-eyed feeling after I've been looking at a computer, TV or phone screen for too long. My head seems to buzz and I often feel overwhelmed or anxious. I put all this aside as my own, unique issue and totally manageable (i.e. ignorable). Then, last week I answered a survey about my smartphone and social media usage.

Do you check into social media within five minutes of waking up? Yes. Do you sleep with your phone beside your bed? Yes. Do you use your phone in the middle of the night when you can't sleep? Yes. 

These and other questions made me think perhaps I was becoming addicted to (or at least too reliant on) my phone and the time-wasting qualities of social media. So for the past week I've avoided Facebook and Twitter. I've only used my phone as a phone (and very occasionally as a music player and weather station). It's been good: my head doesn't hurt as often, I've been more aware of how much mindless TV I watch too and reduced that, and I've done some research into migraines and screen time.

I found this Migraine Triggers fact sheet, which talks about a "threshold" rather than "causes" per se. It's a perspective that makes sense, but that I hadn't thought about before. However, now that I read it, it sounds like something my chiropractor has said – perhaps while I had a migraine so I didn't take it in.

This Migraines and Your Job article had some useful reminders which I've heard before, but it helps to be told again. As does this one: Is Working At My Computer Causing My Headaches?. They talk about glare off the screen and from the overhead lights. Also I am reminded that posture is important for reducing neck, back and shoulder tension, which unchecked lead to migraines.

Now I know that 1) I am not alone in feeling the negative effects of staring at a screen, 2) those effects could be contributing to my migraines and 3) I can give up superfluous use of screens without dire consequences. It just remains to figure out how to balance my writing, work and leisure needs against migraine prevention.

No comments:

Post a Comment