What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Thursday 5 December 2013

'I know not all the migraines that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.' – Moby Dick by Herman Melville

We have entered the season of decisions: which Christmas party to go to during the week; how much, if any, alcohol to drink; which foods to indulge in because "it's the holidays"; whether to travel or have people over. These and countless other decisions will affect those of us who suffer from migraine for the next month or so.

My first dilemma came to a head last night. I had two nights of school end-of-year student performances on. I have been working at this college for less than a year so I have no previous experience of this school community's ways of celebrating; I had really wanted to go to both. Because I had been feeling good for several weeks, I thought that I would be able to. I went to the first night – student short films being screened. It was excellent, but it meant a late night with no proper dinner. I learned my lesson. I made time to go home for dinner before the second night's ceremony started. That's when the headache, lethargy and self-doubt set in. I didn't make it back out; I was in bed and asleep by about 9pm.

I feel disappointed that I didn't get to see some particular students' music performances. I also feel relieved that I've had the reminder, in the form of a not-too-severe migraine, that I can't do it all. That is part of the reason I'm writing this. I am very good at forgetting, shoving aside the memories of times I didn't cope, the next time a series of back-to-back opportunities arise. The lesson I'm taking from this week is: when in doubt go to the first event. The films I saw were excellent (not that the music on the second night wouldn't have been) and you don't know what will happen by the second night. Also, this is a reminder that as important as it is to be there for the students (or spouse, kids, parents, colleagues etc.), I have to take care myself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment