What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Friday 13 December 2013

‘Tis the season to be migrainey, fa-la-la-la-la--la-la-la-la.’

It’s a quiet Saturday before the major holiday hullabaloo begins and I’m trying to remember what’s worked, and not worked in the past, for getting through without falling prey to an ongoing migraine. It’s not whether I’ll get a migraine, it’s how long it will last and how severe it will be – that’s probably the first important thing to acknowledge. It won’t be my fault; it’s not because I’m weak or self-sabotaging; I have a chronic, neurological condition. 

So, some friendly advice for the holiday season for myself (and you, if you want it).
Do: spend time with friends and family, but also make time to rest.
Do: maintain routines when possible like normal sleeping patterns, exercise and meditation.
Do: indulge a little bit (or a lot, you know yourself and what’s allowable).
Do: drink lots of water.
Do: take medication with you everywhere.
Do: book a massage (or some other form of recovery and relaxation) when you get to your destination if you’re traveling by plane. 


I can’t think of anything else, and that seems like enough for now. Maybe I’ll write more after the holidays to help next holiday season. If anyone reading this wants to add to the list in the comment section, that would be appreciated.



















Happy Hullabaloo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment