What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Wednesday 12 November 2014

'[Migraine] is what I sell, it's my stock in trade.' – Marlene Dietrich

I haven't had a migraine in over a week (knock on wood, rub my lucky rabbit's foot, throw salt over my left shoulder etc.). Instead I've been experiencing pain in my hip, which extends down my leg. So this afternoon I got to thinking: would I trade weekly migraines for hip pain? For now the answer is yes. I feel like I could treat hip pain better than the myriad migraine symptoms. Also, hip pain doesn't carry with it as many emotional side-effects. I'm sure if I had chronic, incurable hip pain that stopped me from bike riding, playing tennis, going for walks, sitting for long road trips, sleeping comfortably etc., then perhaps I'd rethink the swap.

"Bart Sells His Soul" ©Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation 
This reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Bart makes a trade with Millhouse: Bart's soul for $5. What follows are all sorts of unintended consequences for Bart. It's a pertinent warning, even if my migraine-for-hip swap is as imaginary as Bart and Millhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment