What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Monday 13 July 2015

The mother of excess is not joy but joylessness. – Friedrich Nietzsche

How much is too much? I've been wondering this for a few weeks now, particularly every time I get a migraine, which is about once a week at the moment. When I don't have one I tell myself I'll keep a really diligent migraine diary for another month (making a total of two months reliably recorded) then go back to my neurologist to adjust my medication. At other times, when I'm feeling plagued by the latest migraine, I'm tempted to call him right then and book in.

Image from: http://erviluca.com/2014/03/05/
I'm also struggling with whether I want to continue on the current medication or not, which I need to decide before I see the neurologist. On one hand, I have very few side effects from it, and virtually none on the current dose. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be working very effectively if I'm getting a migraine a week and taking 2-3 days off every fortnightly pay cycle. If I raise the dose again, I'm worried I'll start gaining weight again (woo-hoo for big, fat side-effects!). However, if I go off it, then who knows how long it'll take to find another medication that controls them even a little and has manageable side-effects.

I'm also starting to contemplate treatments I'd never considered before: botox and ECT (electroconvulsive therapy). I'm feeling the emotional toll as well and wondering about support groups or seeing a counsellor again to help manage the despair, frustration and hopelessness that's creeping in.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 
(Please post in the comments below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment