What's in a name?

You've probably heard of the Fortune Cookie game – add 'in bed' to the end of any fortune from a cookie to make it more exciting. Well, I'm hoping that my love of books and beautiful writing will help me cope with chronic migraines.

Monday 7 April 2014

'Mr Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!' – The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Migrain-gnaw

The neighbour’s dog is yapping,
Someone’s phone is ringing,
A helicopter hovers too close, rotators pounding.

Sitting at my desk, working my way through inbox messages,
I notice a hunted feeling.
Could this mean my loyal companion is back?
For a second my vision blurs. 
I shiver.

Later, I am chopping carrots for dinner
When the hunter returns.
Ah, my loyal companion is back.
Now the room dims momentarily and a growling fills my ears, 
muting the TV news.

Suddenly,

The hound has my whole head locked in its jaws.
I can see no light,
I stare down its gullet. 
The pressure tightens,
pain stabs my neck, 
As it tries to rip my head from my body
With its predator death-shake.

I escape long enough to put down the knife,
Crawl away while it stalks my heals.
I hide for a time in the dark of the bedroom,
But it comes for me still,

Slathering for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment